ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
John McAvity <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:05:02 -0400
Dear Members of ICOM and INTERCOM;

INTERCOM had a very strong program in Korea as part of the ICOM
triennial conference.  It was a great success and very well attended.
(INTERCOM is ICOMs international committee devoted to museum management
and leadership). www.intercom.icom.museum

In particular, one session drew much attention, namely the proposal that
ICOM create a mechanism for the resolution of cultural property disputes
between museums and others.

This proposal by Professor Marilyn Phelan was controversial but inspired
a good debate on the issues of the return of cultural property
worldwide, including mechanisms for mediation or arbritation as more
effective dispute resolution mechanisms.

There was much support for a constructive action by ICOM although  there
were also calls for a conservative approach..  These papers will be
posted shortly on the INTERCOM website, including papers by official
respondents as well as the proposal by Professor Marilyn Phelan of Texas
Tech University in the USA..   Please watch for updates as these papers
have not yet been posted to the INTERCOM website.

This matter of arbitration vs meditation will be referred to the new
ICOM Standiing Committee on Legal Affairs which is chaired by the
respected Professor Patrick Boylan of the UK..  The Committee met in
Seoul and recommendations for future actions wil be forthcoming to the
ICOM Executive Councilfollowign further meetings..

Many of the papers from the INTERCOM sessions will be posted on our
website for INTERCOM as soon as possible.  Please bear with us as we are
a volunteer committee with only limited volunteer resources..

In addition the list of the new Board Members for this international
committee are now posted on our website, as well as the minutes of our
business meeting in Seoul, Korea.   Please see our website for new
information on INTERCOM.

For further information. please go to, www.intercom.icom.museum.  Look
under "news" or "home".

Take a close look at our website as there are many papers posted there
from previous conferences from Ireland, Isreal, Canada, to Australia..

INTERCOMs will be soon deciding on meetings for 2005 and 2006 and we
invite you to attend as soon as details are annoucned.

Stay in touch with our website for up to date inforrmation on our
activities.   www.intercom.icom.museusm

Sincerely,

JOHN McAVITY
Secretary Treasurer