ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Louise Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 20:36:11 +0100
Dear Mr Pinna

I understand from two of my colleagues (Robert Heslip and Pat Cooke) that you are researching the definitions of 'museum' agreed in different countries. In Ireland, The Heritage Council has been developing a standards and accreditation scheme for museums and galleries in consultation with the musuem sector since May 1998. As part of this scheme a working group together with a representative group from the Irish museum sector agreed the following definition:

A museum is a not-for-profit institution that collects, safeguards, holds in trust, researches, develops and interprets collections of original objects and original objects on loan, for the public benefit.  It functions publicly as a place where people learn from and find inspiration and enjoyment throught the display and research of original objects.

Thirteen museums and galleries are participating in Phase II of a pilot study to test and agree the minimum standards and process involved in the accreditation scheme.  It has been agreed that meeting the above definition of a 'museum' will be one of the main eligibility criteria for institutions participating in the accreditation scheme.

If you have any further queries re. the definition, please contact me.

Yours sincerely

Louise Ryan
Co-ordinator, Museum Accreditation Pilot Study