ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:20:37 -0500
Re: International Committee Task Force (ICTF)

Dear ICOM members,

Last year a Task Force on International Committees was created. If you are
interested in the work of this group you should go to the ICOM web site
where you will
find all the basic information http://www.icom.org/task_int.html

This working group had intensive discussions on how to improve the system of
International Committees (ICs) and theme-oriented (not geographically
defined) Affiliated Organisations (AOs). We decided to bring a first set of
reform ideas to the general ICOM membership for critical consideration.

We broke down the complex issue into four main domains:
A General role and tasks of International Committees
B Procedures of creation and criteria of evaluation of ICs
C Organisation, membership administration and communication with members
D Legal and financial problems.

Please note that we have only treated items A and B until now. Hence we ask
you
NOT to discuss items C and D! We will come back later with
proposals on those matters.

You are asked to kindly give your opinion on the following topics. We are
looking forward to your comments, that are precious for our work:

1. ICs and (theme-oriented) AOs have similar functions. They should be
linked more closely and eventually merged in one new structure. Do you
agree?

2. The general mission of ICs (we retain this name for the "new structure")
should include the following: principal instruments of discussion and
exchange, themes should be basic museum tasks/functions, global approach,
durable mission, mutual collaboration, activity in favour of ICOM. Which
other basic topics should be included?

3. Concerning the creation of new ICs we foster a "market approach", or a
pragmatic one, according to the needs of the museums community. We don't
foresee a pre-established system of ICs. Do you agree?

4. The criteria for the creation of new ICs should include mainly:
conformity with the Code of Ethics and the ICOM Statutes, global in every
respect (theme, membership), clear definition of the theme that has to be a
long-lasting one treating with museum matters, minimum number of members
(maybe at least 100), members from different countries (for instance at
least 10) and from different continents (at least 3). Do you have other
criteria or other conditions for the creation of new ICs?

5. We suggest that an observation period of 3 years should be introduced
definitively
before a new IC is accepted into the ICOM family. Do you think that such a
period is appropriate?

6. Every 12 years ICs should be evaluated. Criteria include the same as
under 4. in addition to the following ones: application of the Code of
Ethics
and the ICOM Statutes, contribution by any means to general ICOM issues,
having a healthy financial policy, having a functioning administration with
regular elections, running a web site, publishing a newsletter for the
members, organising one meeting every year. Do you want to include other
items, e.g. joint meetings with another IC/AO or the necessity of publishing
the papers presented at meetings?

7. An IC can end its activity by its own will or it can be dissolved; in
the latter case, the same criteria as under item 6. are applicable. Your
opinion?

8. Creation of a new ICOM Standing Commission on ICs. This body has to work
on the creation, the evaluation and the dissolution of ICs and has to give
advice and help to ICs in difficulty. It reports to the Executive Council
(which has the ultimate decision) through the Advisory Committee. Do you
think that this could be a workable system?

9. Regionalisation of ICs is important, especially to allow more colleagues
to participate to meetings and to benefit from others' experience. Hence,
the creation of regional sub-IC's is fostered. Agree?

10. Outside the framework of IC's, we recommend the creation of ICOM Working
Groups as new entities to deal with short-term, new and very precisely
defined topics. They could be a quick response to new needs in a limited
time frame. Do you agree with such a new body?

A wealth of questions! We hope not only to have many answers but to
contribute to an excellent discussion among professionals. Please note that
the members of the Task Force decided not to intervene in this ICOM-L
discussion but you can be sure that they will follow it with very great
interest.

This first discussion round should last one month until

March 26, 2002

In advance, we thank all who will contribute with their bright ideas. We
send our
best wishes and kindest regards to the world-wide ICOM family