ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
"GEORGE E. HEIN" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 05:58:05 EDT
I have just received the message from Krasimir Damjanov, my first message on
ICOM-L in weeks.  Is this discussion group rely so quiet?

Is it possible to get a list of members?

My own interests are in education and visitor studies.

For those of you not in the US, I can highly recommend a new book to you, FROM
KNOWLEDGE TO NARRATIVE, EDUCATORS D THE CHANGING MUSEUM by Lisa Roberts. I just
received my copy.  It provides an excellent history of museum education in the
US, and describes how the role of educators has changed and expanded) as they
have become increasingly involved in developing exhibitions.  Ms. Roberts uses
as her central theme her own experiences as a member of a team developing an
exhibition on Linnaeus at the Chicago Botanical Garden.  She writes clearly and
the chapter headings tell the "narrative: of the book: Education and
Entertainment, Education as Empowerment, Education as Experience, Education as
Ethics, Conclusion: Education as Narrative. The publisher is Smithsonian Press
(Marketing Department, Smithsonian Institution Press, 470 L'Enfant Plaza, Suite
7100, Washington, DC 20560.

What new publications do you recommend from your countries?

George E. Hein, Professor
Director, Program Evaluation and
        Research Group
Lesley College