ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
yaniherreman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:20:16 -0600
I have followed the discussion on "Young members Group" within ICOM and
would like to back Gunther´s full e-mail!
I think he has summed up many of the issues that have been dealt with and
has  pointed out very important issues such as:

1. National Committees are the direct responsables of promoting membership
and interest in ICOM´s activities (and in museums in general) through
special projects that include younger generations. I beleive several
National Committes already do this, specially in countries where so many
young professionals are trying to enter the museum field.
2. Lena Miller and Rachel Cockett mention the electronic resources we now
enjoy.
"ensuring active membership is among other things about being able to
communicate activities,continueously updated information and providing
spaces for communication and discussions (as this discussion proves), not
so much about grants to travel. To encourage attendance, creating meetings
with crossprofessional/"cultural" themes and marketing them well may prove
fruitful."
I think we must look ahead and try to plan using all the new resources that
we now have at hand.
3.Finally the age goup... In many emerging countries, the term "young"
comprises those under 30. Many of these young people have exactly the same
economic problem of older professionals in these countries: lack of economic
support from their employers. That brings us back to local non expensive
National Committees activities, and electronic media as possible means to
reach the younger generations.
4. Last but not least, I also agree with Gunther when he says that he does
not beleive in separating groups. People learn very much from other people.
Older professionals have a lot to learn from their younger counterparts and
viceversa. Academic relationships between generations may be one of the most
enriching experiences for everyone.

Yani Herreman