ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
"C. BONOMI" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:24:07 +0200
-----Message d'origine-----
De : Ben Koevoets [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Envoyé : Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:35 PM
À : International Council of Museums Discussion List
Cc : Ben Koevoets
Objet : Re: Membership cards Discussion

Dear Gary,

It is easy to respond after overviewing a lot of reactions from colleagues
on your request about Membership Cards. So it is well worth to have
patience!

I fully agree with Patrick Boylan and especially with the arguments summed
up by Manus Brinkman, our well appreciated former SG.  So, I have not too
much to add.
See my suggestions, following Manus arguments.

To the museums staff and to the Board of Trustees etc. the museum management
of every (candidate) Institutional member has to bring up the arguments why
it is important/why it is profitable to be an Instutional Member.
ICOM has to support the manangement of these Institutional Members in this
respect, if not the number of institutional members never will increase.
More cards will help to bring a price-product relation in balance..

The results of the experiment in Germany is positive, But the implementation
on a wider scale should introduced with some restrictions:
- 1: More ICOM Members Cards - only related to the step-by-step-fee, related
to the yearly budget and/or to the number of staff -  may be will help.
- 2: Member Cards are always an "Instiututional Card", not showing any
personal name.
- 3: Introduce an experiment during a period not longer than two years (one
year is too short), followed by an examination and evaluation.
- 4: Clear and well definend categories (three or four) related to there
annual fee (see point 1) will give the right to have 3, 5, 7  et.
Institutional membercards. The system shouldn't be too detailed.

And Gary, as you know, being the former chair of the WorkingGroup on the
Revisions of the Satutes, I think this kind of regulations will not be
adopted in the Statutes but in the by-laws!

I wish you a well managed process leading to a wise decision.

Kind regards,

Ben Koevoets