ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gary Edson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 12:53:46 -0500
Dear ICOM Colleagues:

This is the most recent November 6, 2003 communication about the definition
of "Museum." You may have received this message earlier today, but I was
informed by ICOM L that it could not be delivered because the subject
heading had been used previously. This  is not Spam.

Before I send the suggested definitions for translation (again), I want to
circulate the list being considered at this time! The discussion continues
and I am very pleased to see the interest being shown in finding the exact
wording for the definition. The difficulty I am having is keeping up with
the word-by-word changes. I am not certain I have the most recent version of
a proposed definitions.

Issues relating to "permanence," "nonprofit," "scientific," and the
inclusive or exclusive nature of "heritage" continue to be questioned. I
believe these issues will attract additional attention when the proposed
definitions are translated and circulated to our French and Spanish speaking
colleagues. I continue to be concerned about the English language focus of
this exchange.

For my understanding, are we continuing to view museums as in outward
projecting institutions that deal with traditional approaches to objects, or
should the definition give emphasis to enhancing the multicultural and
social diversity role of museums? Does the idea of "public benefit"
adequately describe this role, or is "public benefit" just a politically or
socially correct expression that is open to interpretation and may require a
second definition?

According to my record, the following definitions have received the most
discussion. They are not necessarily listed in order of interest, but I have
tried to place the most recently discussed suggestions at or near the top of
the list. As always, I await your comments.  Thank you for your involvement.

Gary Edson

These are your suggestions as of November 5, 2003.

Suggestion 1:
Museums are institutions that serve society by promoting knowledge,
appreciation and conservation of the natural world and the cultural and
scientific heritage of humanity through collections, memories, sites and
processes they care for, research, and interpret for public benefit.

Suggestion 2:
A museum is an institution that serves the public interest through
education, collaboration, communication, or research about social, cultural,
or scientific issues expressed as objects, specimens, or activities.

Suggestion 3:
A museum is a cultural institution that serves society by preserving,
researching and divulgating scientific, cultural and/or natural heritage
through the use of collections.

Suggestion 4:
A museum is an educational organization that serves the public by
researching and interpreting scientific, cultural and/or natural heritage
through the use of a physical environment and often objects. Museums that
hold collections care for them as a public trust and preserve them for the
future.

Suggestion 5:
A museum is an educational organization that serves the public by
interpreting scientific, cultural and/or natural heritage through the use of
a physical environment and often objects. Museums that hold collections care
for them as a public trust and preserve them for the future.

Suggestion 6:
Museum: A knowledge base of the tangible and intangible evidence of the
cultural and natural inheritance of humanity.  Such a collection, normally
in the form of objects or specimens, preserves, promotes and presents this
heritage for the benefit of society and its development on a non-profit,
permanent basis. A museum is also a place, real or virtual, to which the
public have access to benefit from such activities.

Suggestion 7:
A museum preserves and presents the objects, specimens, images, or practices
of humankind to benefit society, promote education, advocate human dignity,
and protect the environment.

Suggestion 8:
A museum is an organization that serves society by exhibiting, maintaining,
or protecting the tangible and intangible evidence of humankind and the
environment for the purpose of cultural enhancement, education, enjoyment,
preservation, or research.

Suggestion 9:
Museums help people to investigate, recognize, and understand the world, by
preserving, researching, and communicating information about the tangible
and intangible heritage of humanity. Museums are permanent place, real or
virtual, established in the public interest, to which people have access.

Suggestion 10:
Museums are established in the public interest and help people to
investigate, recognize, and understand the world, by preserving,
researching, and communicating information about the tangible, intangible,
and scientific heritage of humanity.

Suggestion 11:
Museums are permanent institutions that conserve and communicate knowledge
of the natural world and the cultural inheritance of humanity through
collections, records, memories, images, and sites. Museums interpret and
research for present and future generations.