ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
John McAvity <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:01:23 -0500
In response to Per Rekdall's many excellent suggestions  for ICOM Reform,   I appreciate his good ideas which should be retained.  Before getting into means, I feel it is important for ICOM to go through the process of establishing its mission, vision and values as the Reform Task Force has started, then getting into the nitty gritty.

My concern is that what the Reform Task Force has commmenced is in fact Strategic Planning, not Reform.   It may be necessary but I hope they do not loose track of the overall issue of Reform.   In Melbourne, the sentiment was strong and it was to draft steps to reform ICOM in order to improve its relevance to its worldwide constitutency.

So as not to lose the full potential of the task at hand,  I urge the Task Force to proceed in two steps, first developing these necessary tools for an effective organization in the 20th (sic) century, and secondly to plan a complete review of the ICOM structure.   From my discussions with some members of the RF, the latter is felt to be premature now but my concern is not to lose the opportunity.

One of the excellent points that Per makes illustrates the necessity for reform and restructuring.  It is over the role of the ICOM national committees vis-a-vis the national museums associations.    This is a serious structural issue that does need to be reviewed.   It is one that I know is sensitive, however, what isn't in ICOM.   The fact of the matter is the national museum associations are in most cases stronger, more representative than ICOM national committees. Lets start with the premise that  ICOM should be THE international museum organization, and everyone should be a member of it.  The question should not be one of power or turf, it should be a question of how to develop the most effective museum system in the world.      If we can agree on that, we can look at the various structural issues as means.

The only country to have rationalized the relationship is the USA (although it seems I have heard that another country has a different model too); I do not hold it out as the perfect model.  Even ICOM's founders envisioned that national museum associations would be the basis for the ICOM structure (see first issue of ICOM news 1947) where they existed.    Clearly ICOM national committees play an extremely important role where no broadly based national museum association exists, but after that duplication sets in.  If a new relationship could be developed, ideally going as far that every member of the national association would automatically be an ICOM member, think of the power and the reach that our international voice would have.  Lets dream!!

The role and importance of ICOMs international committees are of paramount importance.   From my experience, this is where the real value and potential of ICOM lies.   This is where professionals meet others, where exchanges occur, where development and debate are fostered.   They are the nucleus of the triennial conferences, and of ICOM itself.    This needs to be recognized and they need to be given more encouragement to become stronger and more effective under the ICOM umbrella, otherwise there is an alternative that we do not wish to think about.

I hope these ideas are useful to the limited discussions happening on this most important topic.

John McAvity
editor of INTERCOM news.