ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
"M. ASCENSO" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:13:07 +0200

Dorota Folga Januszewska
Chair National Committee of ICOM Poland

Hasmik Harutyunyan
Chair National Committee  of ICOM Armenia

Dear Colleagues,

Let me on behalf of ICOM express our sympathy with the victims of the recent
conflict within Georgia and South Ossetia. While we share in the grief over
the loss of human life in this situation, I also want to express our concern
for the rich cultural heritage of the Caucasian region, and for the museums
which may have suffered loss or damage in different ways as a result of
these actions.

I wish to assure you also that ICOM, through its Disaster Relief Task Force
(DRTF), has been taking action in respect of this highly volatile situation
and has already made contact with our colleagues in Georgia gathering
information and to assess the needs and requirements to secure the region's
cultural heritage. The ICOM DRTF Chair, Thomas Schuler will shortly be
reporting on our findings to date. (See: http://georgia.drfm.info)

In a case where disaster response exceeds national capacities, ICOM is
willing to offer its support and those services which will facilitate the
recovery of the endangered heritage. We have a moderate Disaster Relief Fund
for Museums and a Disaster Relief Task Force which may be contacted for
information, suggestions or applications of emergency support for
disaster-stricken museums (See: http://icom.museum/disaster_relief/).
Firstly however we need to have accurate information.

I would like to ask you to support our DRTF in helping to make contacts with
museums and museum personnel in the affected region in order to help them to
recover. We welcome any other information that helps us to develop an
accurate picture of the situation and to establish what is needed.

While ICOM concentrates its efforts on museums, we have also made contact
with ICOMOS, IFLA and ICA as well as the new ANCBS office in The Hague. Thus
we can make use of their respective contacts with organizations and
individuals in to obtain information about damage to cultural heritage in
the affected areas, and work together to determine what urgent assistance
may be needed from the international community in this tragic situation.

Thank you for your highly important messages of concern and support for your
colleagues in the region. We greatly appreciate your comprehension and
support in this matter.

Please be accepting of the assurance of our highest consideration.

Alissandra Cummins

President of ICOM