ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Per Bjørn Rekdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:40:45 +0200
Dear Nath,

Upon your request, I have sent 4 probable and 1 possible fake conference
registrations to you directly.

But I fear in the future you may drown in them if we all send them over to
you. It is like the "urgent business proposal"s we receive from all over
Africa: in the early years the Police department of Economical Crimes in
Norway asked us to send over to them all the e-mails of this kind we
received. Now, litterally hundreds (probably thousands) of them are
received every day in a small country like Norway alone.

I think we have just seen the beginning of fake conference registrations.
Rather than our Nigerian colleagues should waste time on finding out
whether registrations are real (plus they will start coming from all parts
of Africa), I think AFRICOM and other representative bodies of African
museums should find ways for some kind of simple authorisation of
conference registrations, so that we do not delete real registrations.

Per
ICME