ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steven de Clercq <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:12:21 +0100
Like Milton, I have great problems with the approach suggested by Giovanni.

Let us continue to call museums an institution (with a mission, staff,
collections, public, a building, etc.).

Besides, what is a site?
1. an area or piece of land where something was, is or will happen;
2. A place where something important happened.
For me a 'site of memory' can easily be a graveyard and a 'site of
knowledge' an academy of science ... Are they museums?!

Furthermore: museums care, interpret, study, exhibit, more then just
heritage and culture. Don't forget nature and science!

I plea for a down to earth and short definition that describes in clear and
unambiguous terms the basic functions of a museum:

"Museums are institutions that keep collections for research and
presentation"

Best regards,

Steven W.G. de Clercq

Utrecht University, senior consultant Academic Heritage
Vice-Chair of UMAC, ICOM's International Committee for University Museums
& Collections
website: <http://www.icom.museum/umac>
Straatweg 17,  3603 CV MAARSSEN,  the Netherlands
Tel:  OO31-(0)346-567.573;  Fax:  0031-(0)346-578.843
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]