ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Doty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:54:43 -0400
Here in America, we define a museum as "an institution for learning and
display, whose fortunes or lack thereof are directly related to how the army
feels about itself on any given day."

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/19/03 01:37PM >>>
Dear Colleagues,
As everyone either knows, or may begin to realize, the definition of a
museum is not such a simple matter.  I will not go into detail here, but
there are several different approaches to such a definition.

One could be called the "screening" method of erecting hurdles (standards?)
such as not-for-profit, collects objects, interprets and displays,
full-time, etc.  This approach, based on museum functions, is useful in
weeding out flagrant museum-pretenders such as alligator farms and houses of
mystery.  It is also handy and easy to state.

But this function-driven or screening approach fails to tell us what the
essential "museum experience" should be.  We can start from the other end
and try to define what kind of experience or special educational niche is
produced by the museum in order for it to be a museum to begin with.  For
example, when a person meets and communes with an object under ideal
conditions is this experience erased simply because the presenting
organization has not yet received its non-profit status or its insurance has
lapsed?

Of course, defining a museum as an organization that provides a museum
experience is subtle and difficult to objectify (is a "flight" in a
flight-simulator the same as a flight in a jet plane?).  Only recently has
the emphasis of social obligation, education, community involvement and a
host of other considerations been appended to the more functional
requirements as can be seen by the growing length of the ICOM, AAM and
Australian definitions.

As always, real life is far more various than the categories we construct
to represent it, and we now seem willing to include all sorts of operations
that would not have been considered "real" museums in the past. Chief among
them may be virtual museums, the ultimate example of the museum without
objects.  This will all need thoughtful ongoing evaluation which, I am happy
to see, some of our colleagues are already pondering.
Milton Bloch