ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
CAMOC Secretary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2015 21:26:27 +0200
International Committee for the Collections and the Activities of the
Museums of Cities (CAMOC) - call for paper open until the 30 of April

For its 10th anniversary, CAMOC will be back to Moscow, the city where it
was born.

*Memory and Migration*

Migrants created cities and they continue to give cities shape and meaning.
We, and our parents, may have been born and brought up in the city, but we
are all in one way or another the children of migrants, migrants from the
rural hinterland or from another country, who found the lure of the city
irresistible. Migrants bring memories of their past, their culture and
their habits with them. How do they preserve them in another environment,
how do they maintain their identity? They may prefer to be absorbed into
their new home, but they still bring a former life with them, and diversity
and difference give a city its own unique character. In any event, no city
museum can be indifferent to the impact of migration.  All this will be at
the heart of our conference. Migration is a vital part of urban history and
a subject that touches many different points of heritage, legacy and human
rights across the world.

City museums preserve and disseminate a city’s memory, yet at the same time
migration continually redefines a city’s heritage and narrative. With this
in mind, these are the sessions and themes we are proposing:

- Migration and City Museums;

- City museums as places of debate and social involvement in the changing
city;

- City museum as a Memory Centre and a Place of Inclusion;

- City Museums – 10 years together.

 To submit a proposal for a presentation, contact Layla Betti (CAMOC
Secretary): camoc2015conf <[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
As the majority of participants will not be native English speakers we
encourage the use of visual material wherever possible, with English
subtitles. A short 2-5-minute film or video about a museum in relation to
migration would also be welcome.

Check the Conference website for more details: http://www.camoc2015moscow.com/