ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:01:58 +0000
In article <v04003a07b46837a922ef@[129.240.58.12]>, on Mon, 29 Nov 1999
at 16:25:02, Per Rekdal <URL: mailto:[log in to unmask]> writes
>limiting the discussion to the members of the Advisory and Executive
>is much too restricted. I am sure there are board members in national as
>well as international committees on the ICOM-L, and they - as indeed any
>member of ICOM - are entitled to participate.
>
>I don't think open critical discussions about ICOM's practices and plans
>are harmful. On the contrary.

I agree with Per, and indeed think it is important that these
discussions about the future of the organisation should not be
restricted to closed lists of people who already hold office. As the
main discussion thread shows, there are people who would be willing to
take a more active role in running ICOM or its committees but who do not
have the financial support to enable them to do so. Their voices should
be heard.

Apart from that, email now gives us an opportunity to have a wide-
ranging discussion with views from ordinary members and potential
members, without constraints of money, time or space. Please let's keep
this discussion open. If there are administrative aspects of the
organisation that need explanation, I hope that anyone interested will
ask about them. The number of messages on this list is still very small
and it should be no trouble to anyone to skip or delete items in which
they are not interested.

Leonard Will
Membership Secretary, ICOM UK

--
Willpower Information        (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants               Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092