ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:21:52 +0200
Quoting Ersy Philippopoulou:

> Maybe the search facility needs some details' refinement. For
> example, if we search ICAMT through "Search", we are told that
> the site is under restructuring, while if we search it through
> "ICOM-National and International Committees" we reach to the
> right site.

I'm afraid that I can't duplicate these results. When I use the
new search engine to locate all documents containing "ICAMT" I
get a correct response. However, it would be entirely possible
for one of the documents located in this manner to contain an
invalid link to a given resource and for another document to
contain the correct link.

Indeed, the search facility needs refinement in terms of detail.
The key issue here is that the search engine, itself, cannot in
any way determine if the material that it has indexed is correct.
What I would expect to happen when the facility becomes
publically available sometime next week is for people to start
discovering all sorts of problems and inconsistencies that have
been in documents on the ICOM Web site, all along. If this
results in the documents being updated and corrected, that will
be just fine. Obviously, the burden of doing the necessary
modifications will lie with the authors of the documents.

(We're on the verge of plunging into the metadata issue, here,
but I'll leave it to others to carry that discussion further.)

/Cary