ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lorna Abungu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:31:33 +0300
Dear Colleagues,

The recent natural catastrophe of the Tsunami in Asia and the Indian Ocean
is one of the highest magnitude, and one very difficult to comprehend. It
has shown us the fragility of both human life and our natural surroundings.
All of us have observed the devastation with reactions of absolute shock and
horror. Countless lives, natural and cultural property have perished. On
behalf of the Board of Secretariat of AFRICOM, I would like to relay our
most heartfelt sympathy to all those affected by the disaster - we may not
be able to be physically present in our support, but we are together in our
hearts.

The African continent is no stranger to natural calamities, and we do share
in the pain and suffering of our brothers and sisters throughout the
affected areas. AFRICOM wishes to echo the many sentiments of
colleagues and friends who have sent messages within the ICOM network over
the past weeks. Indeed, we must find ways to assist those who require it
most. And we must also find ways to assess the damage/loss to the cultural
heritage, with a view to raising both funds and expertise to retrieve,
conserve and protect where needed.

AFRICOM supports the ideas already proposed regarding fund-raising among
museums through entrance fees and through this year's International Museums
Day and will assist in mobilising funds and expertise on the African
continent towards those affected in both Asia and Africa. We shall remain in
close contact with the ICOM Secretariat and President in order to concretise
our intentions and subsequent actions.

Lorna Abungu
Executive Director
International Council of African Museums - AFRICOM
Museum Hill Road
P.O. Box 38706, Ngara
00600 Nairobi
KENYA