ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:56:59 +0000
Dear Per,

I missed Gary's post because I've been simply deleting the mails with
the 'definition' subject line, and had not realised it had moved on.

I think it telling that ICOM-L has so many posts on this one topic, and
so few on any other.

I have interspersed my comments (and deleted passages where I have
nothing to say)

>1) The ICOM-L.
I agree: marketing ICOM-L to members is important; it is also an
important benefit of membership, and as such should be marketed to non-
members, too.

>D: ICOM and it's organs have to adapt to this new situation.
>The only economically viable way to give ALL ICOM members an opportunity
>to react to current issues is through ICOM News. ICOM News must set off
>space for ICOM actualities (but watch out: we must not turn ICOM News into
>a periodical for the ICOM "insiders", making it uninteresting for the
>majority of ICOM members).

All members cannot possibly have an opportunity to react through ICOM
news - Imagine how much newsprint would be taken up by the discussions
we have had here on the one topic!

ICOM News is not a discussion forum.

However, ICOM News does need to interact more with ICOM-L: where a topic
of significance (i.e. one that generates a number of varied responses),
it should be reported in the News.

The internet seems to me to offer far more opportunities for all than
print media or meetings.

>Current issues must presented in ICOM news right from the outset and
>handled parallelly in different open fora. Otherwise we will be hung up in
>an endless process.

What fora are there?  Alongside ICOM-L there are the meetings (arguably
open to even fewer), which can be more structured than ICOM-L.

How could ICOM-L be made (upon occasion) less like the coffee break, and
more like the business meeting?  Not that I have anything against coffee
breaks - they are great opportunities to discuss what is going on, make
contacts, and so on.  But their ability to be more than a prelude to a
transparent, vibrant democratic decision-making process is somewhat
limited.

>But remember the Advisory! We should still trust the Advisory's ability to
>sum up the discussions before making it's recommendation to the Executive.
>In the heath of ICOM-L discussions, it is easy to forget the role of the
>Advisory, isn't it?

It is indeed easy - I'm not sure what it is!

Best wishes,

Pat

--
Pat Reynolds