ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 01:13:35 +0100
Quoting John McAvity:

> I am immediately interested in starting the registration
> process to get CMA and our various interests registered.
> Can you advise when this will process will open up.

Here is the text that is currently being sent in response to
registration information requests:

 - - - - -

Thank you for your interest in registering in the .museum domain.

On November 16, the Board of Directors of the Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), announced its selections for registry
operators for new top level domains. The applications selected for further
negotiation by the ICANN Staff include the one for .museum, submitted by
the Museum Domain Management Association (MuseDoma). The proposed date for
the completion of these negotiations is December 31, 2000. The resulting
registry agreement must then be approved by the ICANN Board of Directors.
Following that approval, the ICANN Board will forward its recommendations
to the U.S. Department of Commerce for implementation.

When the latter action has been taken, several additional months will be
required to establish the technical and administrative procedures
necessary to bring the new domain into operation. It is during this period
that facilities will be established for accepting and processing
registration requests. Although MuseDoma shares the museum community's
eagerness to proceed, accepting any form of reservation or
pre-registration for subdomains in .museum is simply not possible at this
time.

If you are interested in receiving notification of further developments,
as they happen, you are encouraged to join the MUSEDOMA-NEWS e-mail
distribution list. You may do this by addressing a message to
[log in to unmask] On the first and only line in the body of the
message, please write:

SUBSCRIBE MUSEDOMA-NEWS Yourfirstname Yourlastname

The information sent to the list, plus a good deal more, will also be
found on the MuseDoma Web site at http://www.musedoma.org/

It will take take about two weeks before the Web site is modified to
reflect the new focus of MuseDoma's activity and the list is taken into
full operation.