ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carla BONOMI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:59:14 +0100
De : Lois Irvine [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Envoyé : lundi 28 janvier 2008 22:41
À : International Council of Museums Discussion List
Objet : Notice of Meeting - Commonwealth Assocaition of Museums

Preliminary Announcement & Call for Papers

COMMONWEALTH ASSOCIATION OF MUSEUMS

CAM GENERAL PROGRAMME AND MEETING 2008

Museums & Diversity

Part 1 - Museums in Pluralistic Societies

Part 2 - World Watch One: Biodiversity & Conservation

                     April 21 to 25, 2008 (To be confirmed)

Hosted by the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport

The National Museum of Guyana

Georgetown, Guyana

5 day Seminar plus Excursion to IWOKRAMA to follow for limited number of
participants, April 26-30 (To be confirmed)

NOTE: The dates will be confirmed as soon as possible. It is expected that
they will not vary significantly from the above but they might affect travel
plans.

Museums & Diversity

As institutions of civil society, museums must take into account the
increasingly complex natural, social and cultural environment in which we
exist.  Not least of this complexity are the multiplicity of ethnic,
cultural, religious and economic variations within our larger societies and
the task of contributing to healthy communities, inclusive societies and a
healthy world.  To ignore the role of museums in civil society and community
is at best to be irrelevant and undermine our requests and rationale for
public support and, at worst, to work against peace and harmony and the
survival of humanity.

The task involves the values of the Commonwealth often expressed in the
declarations from the Heads of Government meetings and elsewhere:
democracy, rule of law, human rights, free press, education for all, and
gender equity as well as encouragement of young peoples in all spheres.
Many of these are also topics of the Millennium Goals and concerns of
UNESCO.

It is no longer sufficient for museums to deal with only the traditional
past through historical, archaeological, artistic objects and works of art
in homogeneous contexts.   Room must be made in publicly funded
organizations for both tangible objects and intangible heritage from other
cultures and societies relevant to our constituents.  Museums as an
assemblage exist to benefit society and exist as a part of civil society.
If our task is the preservation of cultural and natural heritage according
to our mandates, then it is important for us to remember that each part of
that heritage whether it be in a science centre or technology museum,
ethnology, history or art museum, zoo or aquarium, involves different
cultural perspectives and a larger context of beliefs, ideas and heritage.
Our method is through material evidence and sensory expressions of
intangible heritage and our ultimate aim is knowledge and understanding of
ourselves and our environment as well as of the specific artifacts and
manifestations of heritage that are the focus of individual museums.  Thus
diversity in this programme encompasses how museums deal with

<                    differences within the museum and heritage community,

<                    differences in the societies we live in and interact
with,

<                    differences in our natural heritage, and

<                    interaction among those differences.

Part 1: Museums in Pluralistic Societies

This session will deal with the issues and challenges of museums in civil
societies which are diverse, how individual museums of all kinds find
direction for their particular circumstances and mandates, what methods can
be or have been successful in creating inclusive and healthy societies.

Part 2: World Watch One

This session is intended to be the first of a series dealing with the human
and natural environment of museums in their broadest context - the global
perspective.  It is intended as an alert to issues which have huge impact
not only on museums but on all other organizations, systems and networks of
society.  It features a day in which to focus on one or more related issues
along with an opportunity to reflect on what Commonwealth museums can and
should consider as high priority concerns.

Part 1 of the conference does address one of the most important global
issues but World Watch will take into account other issues and in Guyana one
associated with the environment.  In World Watch One, the opportunity to
visit Iwokrama, a unique international organization for the preservation of
the rain forest and its biodiversity, allows us to see ourselves as part of
a larger group of museums including natural history museums and allows us to
consider the role of museums in protecting biodiversity and promoting
conservation.  By extension, climate change is a factor in maintaining
biodiversity and conservation an ingredient in maintaining climate
stability.

World Watch sessions will take place from time to time usually in
conjunction with other CAM activities to identify and consider action on
urgent issues affecting life on earth.

___________________

The meeting is open to all established members of the museum community
world-wide and associates and partners.  Travel assistance is open only to
members from the Commonwealth developing countries.  CAM will assist others
as may be possible to tap alternative sources of funding.

____________________

Call for Papers

Papers are invited from participants in the meeting and will be selected
according to specific criteria by the Programme Committee.  They may be on
any topic related to the programme description.  A separate call for papers
is being distributed but the CAM Secretariat may be contacted directly for
further information in any case.  ([log in to unmask])

Information

For further information and questions, please contact the Secretariat

Lois Irvine

Secretary General

Commonwealth Association of Museums

Tel & fax: 1-403-938-3190