ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Dorfman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2014 22:34:44 +1200
Dear ICOM Colleagues,

I am delighted to announce that the 2014 ICOM NATHIST conference is kindly being hosted The Croatian Museums of Zagorje from 11 to 16 October.

The theme of the conference is "The Future of Natural History Museums: Relevance, Balance and Innovation"

Natural history museums face more challenges, and are finding new ways to meet them, than ever before. In the wake of the Global Financial Crisis, funds are tighter, alongside increasing pressure to remain relevant to visitors, funders and science practitioners. Arcane knowledge must be balanced with popularization, and there are increasing calls for enabling the public and other stakeholders in co-curating the messages brought forward in the museum context. Topics such as First Peoples and Ethics are intersecting with natural history museums in a way never imagined even ten years ago. This conference is devoted to these considerations. Through engaging with our peers we aim plot the course of natural history museums, to ensure their place as effective contributors to natural ecosystems and human societies for this generation, the next, and the many to follow.

For more information and to view the conference programme and registration details, please follow this link http://icomnathist.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/icom-nathist-2014-conference-registration/. Abstracts are being accepted until 1 August.

For more information, please contact:

Dr Eric Dorfman
President ICOM NATHIST