ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marta de la Torre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:23:04 -0400
Dear John,

Congratulations on what seems to have been a great success in Seoul.  I'm sorry I wasn't there this time but look forward to reading the papers on the web.

The proposal to have ICOM be a broker in cultural property disputes is interesting, and worth exploring. I would be good to have ICOM play a substantial role in the international arena.  Before this can happen, however, we must take inventory of all the mechanisms that are already in place, as well as the position taken by some museums.  As you well know, there are many countries that have signed Unesco convention on illicit traffic and each one seems to implement it in different ways.  Just gathering the information about the national implementation mechanisms would be a huge contribution to the field.

As you also know, some of the mayor museums in North America and Europe have taken a very tough position regarding return and restitution.  We need to consider that.  Not that ICOM should not take a position on this, but that the position be well thought out and discussed with those concerned - in both sides.  If we are going to make progress in these areas - and by this I mean having our actions come closer to achieving our goals - we need to think these problems "outside the box".  We must find new strategies that address the concerns and interests of the many stakeholders.  Most of all, we cannot continue to offer the same solutions that have not worked in the past.  Those of all us who have been involved with ICOM for many years know the "default" position of people, and falling into those will not help move things along.  Most of all, we should avoid placing ICOM in a situation that will not allow it to succeed - I don't think the organization would survive having its "authority" ignored once again.

All this said, I would be happy to participate in any work being done in this area.  Let me know how I can help.

Best regards,

Marta

Marta de la Torre
Director Museum Studies