ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:27:51 +0100
Dear Bernice

To my mind this discusion is well developping and we seem close to an
adaquate formulation
of what a museum is - at least in terms of  ICOM and its statuts, as a wide
but still sufficiently percise
circumscription.
To achieve this in a still more complete way I want to come back to one of
my point I made earlier : we are talking and writing about society a great
lot - society or societies ? -  but it is the inidiviual who is going to the
museum and the sum of them and some others make up society, but it is not
society which goes to the museum and not every individual is part of the
respective society.  So why not embrace also the person we are always
adressing anyhow in our work at museums, the individual visitor by entering
him and her into the text " ... that serve individuals and society (ies?) on
a ...."

I think we could evitate the problem Steven is pointing to, "scientific", by
eliminating the word "cultural" : " .... conservation of the natural world
and the heritage of humanity .... " - but I would include "document" as one
of the basic activities of a museum.

So on the basis of Bernice's definition the definition would now read as
follows:

"Museums are institutions that serve individuals and society on a permanent
basis
by promoting knowledge, appreciation and conservation of the natural world
and the heritage of humanity  through collections, memories, sites and
processes
they care for, research, document and  interpret for public benefit."

It reads good, but somehow I not fully satisfied and would like to see a
value mark
somewhere, a measure, an evocation of ethics to provide for comparison and
minimum standards.

Great discussion, best wishes

Hans-Christoph von Imhoff
Assistant Coordinator - ICOM-CC-WG: