ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Günther Dembski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:22:24 +0200
Dear all,

I am very happy about this discussion and I thank especially our 2
colleagues which brought an overview into this very diverse meanings. I
would like to clarify things and bring in my personal point of view not
as chair of Advisory with the raised finger!.

   1. I think it is really the duty of the National Committees to
      motivate young colleagues to become member and to engage
      themselves for work and bringing ideas within ICOM. As I know (I
      had been 6 years president of ICOM Austria and the same number of
      years chair of ICMS – therefore I am really belonging to the
      “olds”) in both committees we had and have a remarkable number of
      younger members, who are coming to seminars and conferences, who
      are in the board of these committees etc. National committees have
      really to take care how to bring enthusiasm also to younger members.
   2. It is really a good idea, to enforce within ICOM the electronic
      information media for a more modern and quicker information, but
      it cannot be the duty of ICOM secretariat to establish an own
      apparatus for this because the whole small staff is even now
      overloaded with its worldwide contacts, bringing out information,
      organising conferences etc. etc. National and International
      Committees could help together to make such a platform of local
      and international information exchange.
   3. I do not really like the idea of a special group of young ICOM
      members. We all have to learn how to work closer together, to
      understand not only the cultural diversities but also the
      diversities of different ages, meanings etc. There I would like to
      mention that ICOM has not only to reach young members but also
      with more intensity and help members of the poor countries, where
      help is very necessary – they are really still too low present
      within ICOM!
   4. I think there should be worked out a memorandum about these ideas
      which could be discussed as well in EC as also in IC next year.
   5. Finally I ask you to be indulgent with my English which is far
      away from being perfect.
   6. Best greetings your Günther Dembski

--

HR Univ.-Prof. Dr. Günther Dembski