ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
"V. Jullien" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 09:40:20 +0200
Below is the translation of the message from ICOM-Guatemala. This translation was made by J.P.
Jouanny from the Interpol Headquarters.

For your information, I received from ICOM-Guatemala photos and Object ID descriptions of the 3
objects. All information was sent yesterday to Interpol and others institutions. The Museum Security
Network might put them on its web site.

Sincerely,

Valérie Jullien
Communication Officer
ICOM secretariat

 _________________________

The Association of Guatemala Museums rejects the facts of violence

that has been bestowed on the Colonial Art Museum.

The Association of Guatemala Museums / Guatemalan Committee of the

International Council of Museums which joins all public and private

Guatemala museums, rejects and laments the attack against the

Cultural Heritage and the loss of Human Life committed at the

Colonial Art Museum in Antigua Guatemala on Sunday 2nd May 2004.

It shows once again the lack of protection of the National Cultural

Heritage held at the Guatemalan Museums while at the same time it

shows the risk of violence at those Cultural Centres. The loss of a

cultural worker, Mr. Jorge Luis Morán Santizo, Security Officer of

the Museum, who died in the line of duty defending the transcendental

values of Guatemala will not be forgotten.

During this deplorable criminal act the following works of art were

stolen from the Colonial Art Museum: "La Virgen al pie de la cruz"

(Virgin at the foot of the Cross) 53cm high x 23 cm large; "El Cristo

de la agonia" 74 cm. high x 30 cm. large (Both Works-Art are carved

in wood and decorated with gold and cloth); one painting on canvas by

Cristobal Villalpando of XVIII Century named "El Sueño del Papa

Gregoriano" (The dream of the Gregorian Pope) 300 cm high x 300 cm

large. This painting was taken away by cutting it from its frame. The

pictures of those works of art have already been put on the Internet.

Neither Cultural Treasure nor loss of Human Life can be replaced.

Criminal impoverished Guatemala, despoiling their Historical-Cultural

goods and at the same time a family in mourning and a cultural

sector threatened by such criminal acts.

We express our disdain for those terrible events and we declare our

sadness to the family of Mr. Jorge Morán and to all persons who gave

their life defending the Heritage. We would like to show our

solidarity with the competent Authorities, especially with the

Colonial Art Museum Director Mrs. Betancourt.

We ask the representatives of the competent institutions to ensure

that the facts do not go unpunished and that an investigation be

opened to identify and arrest the offenders. At the same time, we

request an improvement of the security inside the areas where our

national cultural treasures are held and protected.

Museums are places where culture spreads out and where visitors are

put in contact with reality through the exhibits. Museums are also an

evident support of education. Today, there is a climate of insecurity

and uncertainty in these places because of the poor conditions of the

installations. This fact demonstrates the vulnerability of the

installations.

We also remember the guards of the cultural heritage of the central

regions of Guatemala who have given their lives for the protection of

this heritage and also the workers who, every day, expose their life

to the threats emanating from the looters of the two most important

patrimonial values: the material testimony of the culture of our

ancestors and of the present civilisation.

archive of the list:

 <http://msn-list.te.verweg.com/> http://msn-list.te.verweg.com/

Join us in Seoul, ICOM General Conference, Oct. 2-8, 2004.
Theme : Museums and Intangible Heritage
http://icom.museum/general-conference2004.html