ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Per Bjorn Rekdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:09:04 +0200
Dear all,

If one wants to sum up the imbalances of ICOM, I think it can - somewhat
disrespectfully - be said that ICOM consists mainly of elderly individual
museum professionals from the richer parts of Europe. As members we have
too few young ones, too few institutions, too few from the less wealthy
parts of the world, and too few from some regions of the world that
constitute a bit of a world in itself. If we look at not only membership,
but activity level, these characteristics become even more pronounced.

Anyway, here are 5 points that may be followed up:

1) Mario Buculo writes:
>         I hope that in a group dedicated to young professional, will be
> possible to
>         use all new technology to improve communication, sharing of ideas.
>         It is possible to organize video-chat, for example it will be
> possible to
>         organize virtual-meeting where people in Europe, Asia and America
> can meet
>         and share documents, idea, having chat-conference (Skype, AIM,
> Ichat, MSM
>         etc).

Using modern technology to be able to meet without travelling will help not
only young professionals, but everyone who find it too costly to travel.
Maybe a focus on low-cost use of modern communication technology for ICOM's
national and international committees, as well as regional and affiliated
organizations, could be something worth exploring in a (virtual?) seminar?

2) Vidar Hallén (ICDAD) writes:
         ICDAD has launched scholarships for young members. This year we
give two scholarships at EUR 350        to two young Italians.

This is a good idea that can be followed up by other international
committees, directed at young professionals,  at professionals from
developing countries, or whichever target group the committee feels need
strengthening.

3) Gary Edson writes:
         however, I believe the place to start with that
         initiative is at the national level as Mario proposes. National
Committees
         can develop programs to attract younger members, underwrite group
directed
         activities, and subsidize travel to ICOM meetings. It is the role of
         National Committees to represent the museums and museum
professionals of the
         particular nation/state.

So here is a challenge to the national committees.

4) and Gary writes further:
         ICOM instituted student membership to enlist those young persons
entering
         the profession. The authorization process for student membership is
         regulated by the National Committee.

Not least it is a challenge for the national committees to promote more the
possibility of student membership.

5) Will it benefit young professionals to cooperate internationally within
ICOM?
I assume it would be extremely time consuming trying to identify whom of
the 20.000 members of ICOM that are below the age of 40, but student
members are an easily identified group. So, if student members want to,
they can on their own initiative, as a start, establish an informal
communication network of student members throughout ICOM where they can
explore what needs student members have, as well as try to find or promote
good possibilities for low cost participation in ICOM.

kind regards
Per

Per B. Rekdal
Executive Council member, ICOM

Seksjonsleder/Head of department
Utstillings- og publikumsseksjonen/
Exhibitions, Education and Public Services
Kulturhistorisk museum, Universitetet i Oslo/
Museum of Cultural History, University of Oslo
P.b. 6762 St. Olavs pl.
NO-0130 Oslo
Tel. (+47) 22 85 99 61
Fax (+47) 22 85 99 60
Tlf sentralbord/reception (+47) 22 85 19 00
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.khm.uio.no