ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:44:16 +0100
On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Cary Karp wrote:

> Quoting Patrick Boylan:
>
> > Milton's comment re international committee descriptions
> > shows just how important both the new search facility and
> > better "home page" indexing (not yet done) are.
>
> The search engine treats the welcome page exactly as every other
> page on the site. What, beyond that, is "home page indexing"?

=========================

Cary:

Sorry. For clarification, what I meant was that links to key areas of
basic ICOM information - such as that to details of the International
Committees only just discovered by Milton, (also e.g. the ICOM staff list)
should be indexed on the main home page itself, and not buried under
"General Document Repositories". (In fact the identical link to details of
the the Affiliated Organisations is already on the home page itself.)

Inserting the whole of the text and links of the General Document
Repositories sub-index page (http://www.icom.org/repository.html) into the
main home page would only increase the home page by about 30 plain text
lines, an almost negligible increase in file size and download times.

However, such a change is of course a matter for the Secretariat to
consider and deal with.

Patrick