ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mario Bucolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:54:29 +0100
Accept the invitation of Yani Herreman  and Penelope Hyam I write my
impression on the part (MPR) I attended in Seoul. I also hope to put soon
online some photos of Seoul I take.

I start from Italy to partecipate to the MPR session and to the board
election, hoping to find a democratic environment to also bet on my name for
the board.

First of all I find very strange that I don't receive any email from the MPR
committee about Seoul, no one that try to attract more people to attend the
conference and the MPR sessions (and this have a relevance as I will
illustrate later, for people attending the meeting), also I note that there
was no respect of the Icom rules for the board candidates (4 to 2 months
before Seoul, to circulate the candidature by members). So that elements
must to be impose me to reflect that something was wrong...by the way I take
my flight and I went to Seoul.

During the MPR session, where I also speech, I ask information on the
election procedures remember that I present my candidature in respect of
Icom timeline, and I start to understand that all the game was ready before
the election. Suspecting this, I talk with the both to ICOm president
candidate to inform about the situation.
By the way, the time of the board election arrive, the 2003/2004 Chair Paal
Mork, start the voting session illustrate a slide where he write who will be
the new chair (the same Paal Mork) who will be the vice chair, the secretary
and the treasures and 3 new entries in the board!!!
Incredible behavior...they fix all offices before the board election!!!
I suppose in a democratic environment that the new board will elect the
offices.
They don't accept any candidature and they don't analyze anyone curriculum.
Also two new board member was elected because their countries will host next
annual MPR meeting, not on the base of their (of course splendid as any
colleagues) curriculum.

But...after jump over all of Icom rules for board committee election, after
jump over on any communication to members, after decide outside any
democratic rules who will head the committee before the new board can choose
this persons...after all of this...
There aren't the quorum, not in person and not by proxy votes. As Icom rules
an election to be valid must to have 10% of voting member. There are 283
voting members in MPR (one of the most greatest so must to respect the
democracy) and only 21 where present in the Seoul meeting without any proxy
votes (I ask if there are)!!
When I evidence this problem, the chair, in front of all, declare that "if
every time we need to respect the quorum we can't made any election"!!!!!
This in relation of the absence of any communication to invite MPR members
to attending the Seoul event.

So, on the base of no circulation of candidature for the board in respect of
timeline fixed by Icom rules,
in relation of quorum missing
and in relation of the offices fixed before the board election
I suppose that the MPR board election must to be invalidate, also because
the committee must to be represented by the 283 members and not only from 18
(member voting for the board at Seoul, where 8 are the new board, and 3 are
the exit board, so 11 having a direct interest).
I inform of this situation the new Icom President that I trust when she find
the time she can analyze this incredible situation, also this is important
for the democracy expression inside ICOM

Sorry for this bad note but it is important that information this type of
behavior and on what happen must to be circulate.
--
Mario Bucolo

Via Milano n.61 - 95127 Catania - Italy
Ph: +39-095-38.70.92