ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
P Boylan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:52:29 +0100
Dear Giovanni and Michel,

I agree very much with all of your ideas.

However, remember that the main theme for the ICOM 2004 General Conference
in Seoul, Korea, in October next year is going to be "Museums and the
Intangible Heritage". Therefore we all need to be preparing now for this,
both centrally (Executive Council and Secretariat) in relation to the
general programme for 2004, and through all national and international
committees.

(The ICOM Training Committee - ICTOP - already has a Working Group on the
implications of broadening the definition of museums to include intangible
cultural heritage centres in preparation for this, and we are having a
preliminary session on this in our annual meeting in Slovenia next month.)

Re Michel's point on working through UNESCO National Commissions: again I
agree.

Unfortunately there isn't a Commission any more in the UK, since earlier
this year the British Government ABOLISHED it without consultation (we
think because the Commission refused to carry out the Overseas
Development Minister's (truly eccentric!) wishes...)!!

Patrick Boylan