ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Per B. Rekdal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 15:48:21 +0200
Discussing the theme for the International Museum Day always takes much
time at the meetings of Advisory. The main problem with the discussion is
that the proposals are presented there and then. I am sure we would have a
much better discussion if the proposals were known beforehand.

So why not present proposals in this forum?

Taking into consideration the debate on this List about the ICOM reform
process and taking into considertaion that 2001 is a year for an ICOM
General Conference, I suggest the following theme:

Museums Unlimited -
International Museum Co-operation

The theme can be illustrated through an arrangement or exhibiton about ICOM
itself, about an international twinning museum project, about the work of
Blue Shield, etc. About anything illustrating how museums cooperate across
borders, across continents. You could take as your point of departure some
international project your own museum is involved in.

Other suggestions?

Kind regards

Per B. Rekdal
ICME President

PS: Personally I would have preferred a theme valid for the whole year, or
at least a week or a weekend. Most museums cannot afford to print
information material valid for just one day, and most of the visitors are
coming on Sundays. Anyway, special solutions for each country is permitted,
right?