ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steven de Clercq <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:43:11 +0200
There is no doubt that we need to encourage young people to participate in
ICOM's activities.
Whether "Young Groups" are the solution, however, remains to be seen.
I see other probably more effective possibilities, like:
- introducing a student membership for all students that study museology
and/or use museums for their education
- stimulating (PhD) students to participate in annual conferences and
present their research.

UMAC has already done so successfully during its first conference in
Barcelona 2001, when it was first acknowledged as an IC. The draft for a PhD
research on university museums and collections in Europe presented during
that meeting is now completed and the date for the exam is set (20 October).
This student corresponded with other PhD students on aspects of u-museology.
Two of then will be presented during the UMAC-2005 conference in Uppsala,
where also Swedish/Scandinavian students will attend.

I am sure that all 'old and settled' professionals, as well as the field
itself benefit immensely from such input and active participation of the
younger generation!

ICOM-Netherlands knows some kind of student membership. I find it impossible
to explain why 60+ professionals pay a lesser membership fee than students?!

So let us start to do the obvious things: easy and low membership for
students and encouragement (including searching for grants) of the young
generation to participate in ongoing activities.

This does not imply that I would wish to discourage (young) people to set up
an IC for the innovation of museology. On the contrary!

Best regards,

Steven W.G. de Clercq

Vice-Chair of UMAC, ICOM's International Committee for University Museums &
Collections
website: <http://umac.icom.museum>
Straatweg 17,  3603 CV MAARSSEN,  the Netherlands
Tel:  OO31-(0)346-567.573;  Fax:  0031-(0)346-578.843
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]