ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:07:35 +0200
The International Council on Archives has launched an appeal for
assistance following the disaster that has hit Polish Archives.
The text is available on the ICA Web site at
http://www.archives.ca/ica/Appeal_0897.html and is being
distributed via ICOM-L to help spread the word throughout the
museum community.

To all members of the International Council on Archives and to all
archivists worldwide

Once again the archival heritage of mankind has been hit by a
disaster:  the flooding in Poland. This event, dramatic in
itself, has occurred in a country which lost the major part of
its archival heritage during the second World War.

I urge all archival institutions and all colleagues throughout
the world to respond to the appeal of the Director General of the
State Archives of Poland which reads as follows:

Poland Archive Disaster Appeal

The biggest flood in our country's history is ravaging Southern
and Western Poland. It has devastated archives in Wroclaw,
Kamieniec, Zabkowski, Nysa, Raciborz and the archive building in
Opole. Some of these records constitute a common heritage of Pol
and and Germany. Documents dating from the XVI century have been
destroyed or damaged.

This is a severe blow, not only to our cultural heritage but to
that of the world.

The national archives are organising the emergency response for
the whole country. We have already sent personnel into the
affected areas, we are highlighting the areas of greatest need,
and identifying places where documents can be given emergency
treat ment. We are giving advice on how to deal with the damaged
archives.

Our rescue action consists of drying flooded material where
possible, and freezing where immediate drying is not possible.
We are using commercial freezing and vacuum drying facilities,
and have ordered further equipment from abroad. This work is
enormo usly expensive and our resources are limited.

We are desperately in need of equipment including freezing units,
fans, and plastic crates to move wet records. We also urgently
need materials: plastic sheeting, absorbent paper, file covers
and folders, and archive storage boxes, together with protecti ve
clothing for our staff, who are working in difficult and often
dangerous conditions.

We appeal to the world archival and heritage community to help us
in providing equipment, materials and above all, money. We will
be grateful for any kind of help. We have created a special bank
account, to which donations can be sent:

Bank Polska Kasa Opieki S.A - Grupa Pekao S.A
III Oddzial w Warszawie
Nr 12401040 - 27030822 - 3000-457872
Naczelna Dyrekcja Archiwów Panstwowych
«Archiwa Polskie - powódz»
(This means : Polish Archives -flood).

We urge you, our international colleagues and friends, to help us
by sending as much as you can. Everything will be put to good
use to save our archival heritage.

Prof Daria Nalecz
Director of the state archives of Poland
tel +48 22 831 9584
fax: +48 2 231 7563

If you need further information, please contact the ICA
Secretariat in Paris which is maintaining close liaison with the
Archives of Poland.

I am confident that our professional community will again show
the spirit of international solidarity which has existed since
the foundation of ICA 50 years ago.

The President of ICA.

Wang Gang