ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Van Eyk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:18:50 -0500
----------
> From: Carlos Roberto Maciel Levy <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: ICOM and Art dealers
> Date: February 7, 1997 9:20 AM
>
> Glyn,
>
> GB> ... if we want them to be on our side in the fight against illicit
> traffic.
>
> Well, do you have any doubt that they fight just on the other side yet?
>
> GB> ... they embrace those aspects of the code of ethics which deal
> GB> with trade in objects of doubtful origin.
>
> Do you have any doubt that art dealers are mostly, not to say
exclusively,
> interested in profits? They will never embrace any code which could (if
> respected, of course...) restrict sales and profits in any way.

Is there really any difference between profit and wages? Are the motives
and passions of  the art dealer any different than that of a collector,
curator, conservator?
If you wish to promote a code of ethics, how can you do so by casting out
those whom you wish to influence the most. Rather than alienate the dealer,
should we not be working side by side to promote standards, principles, and
a code of ethics? Afterall, is /can the art dealer not be an influential
link between the artwork and the collector.

Robert P. Van Eyk
C.C.R.S.
www.ccrs.on.ca