ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:46:52 +0200
The MPR Chair envisions committees, "forwarding their material to a
designated, fulltime ICOM webmaster for editing and uploading
(Immediately!!)."

INTERCOM wants, "the pure and simple availability of space on the
ICOM server."

The ICTOP Chair, "honestly think[s] . . . the server is really the
least of the worries."

Diversity of opinion is the spice of life but in the present case it
does suggest that there may not be a consensual basis for
establishing central corporate procedures.

However much I would love to see ICOM able to accomdate each of its
Committees on an individually determined service level, I don't
personally see any such thing on the horizon. (Speaking here as a
concerned member of the organization.)

I agree fully with Patrick:

> Providing Committees get into the habit of using the
> www.icom.org/committeename/ rather than that of their current
> and perhaps temporary host web server there's no problem is
> changing from one location to another without this being
> apparent to users including Committee members other than those
> actually maintaining the Committee's site."

The ability to provide the nomenclatural basis for this is more
complex than may be realized and is not a trivial contribution to
establishing a strong organizational identity on the Internet for
ICOM, without in any way reducing the autonomy of the Committees.

/Cary