ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steven de Clercq <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:14:47 +0100
Dear Bernice, Geoffrey and Gary,

Allow me one amendment to Bernice's last suggestion: Please change "...
Cultural heritage ..." in  "... cultural and scientific heritage ...'.

After all, museums of natural history, botany, geology, paleontology,
archeology, anthropology (to name a few) keep the primary sources of
evidence of an enormous part of our scientific heritage, collected over the
last couple of centuries.
Of course, one can argue that our scientific heritage is part of our
culture, and I will immediately agree. However, it is unfortunate that many
see culture and science as different and often even hostile worlds, as
illustrated in the fact that many national and local governments have
different departments of Science and Education and for Culture, often
reflected in different 'governing bodies' of different types of museums and
in the debate on the position of research in museums as was earlier
mentioned during this discussion.

Bernice's definition would then read:

"Museums are institutions that serve society by promoting knowledge,
appreciation and conservation of the natural world and the cultural and
scientific heritage of humanity through collections, memories, sites and
processes they care for, research and interpret for public benefit."

Sorry for this late reaction, I should have noticed this earlier!

Thanks and with best regards,

Steven W.G. de Clercq

Utrecht University, senior consultant Academic Heritage
Vice-Chair of UMAC, ICOM's International Committee for University Museums
& Collections
website: <http://www.icom.museum/umac>
Straatweg 17,  3603 CV MAARSSEN,  the Netherlands
Tel:  OO31-(0)346-567.573;  Fax:  0031-(0)346-578.843
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]