ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:20:09 +0700
Dear friends and colleagues,

It has been repeatedly said on this list that the tsunami disaster has
caused enormous suffering and loss. And of course first of all our thoughts
go to those who lost their family or friends.

Nevertheless it is heartwarming to know that so many ICOM members and
committees are willing to contribute to the reconstruction.

We received some information on damage in Sri Lanka, which seems to be the
most seriously hit with respect to cultural heritage, from Dr. Jordi Juan i
Tresserras and Marie Christine van der Sman.

The chair of ICOM Thailand, Somlak Charoenpot just informed me that at the
moment there is not yet any news on serious damage to Thai cultural
heritage.

 The Phuket National Museum is safe because it is in town, however, many
natural sites must have been destroyed. There is concern with respect to
some of the rock paintings in the area but for the time being it is hard to
do a damage assessment.

The moment more is known we will of course try to inform you.

Manus Brinkman