ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:33:15 +0100
Dear Bernice

Regarding the word "documenting" and its implicity (implicticity?) in the
given wording of the most recent version of your text,  I am ready to agree
to your argumentation, with an additional reason - conservation as the
conservator-restorers' activity - according to : "The conservatro-restorer -
the definition of a profession" (Copenhagen 1984), featuring at present as
code of ethics of the ICOM-Conservation committee ICOM-CC, see our
web-site, and as all other, later codes of this profession, ECCO, AIC, CAC,
UKIC, etc. - has "documentation" explicitely incorporated in the code as one
of  the basic sine-qua-non activities of the professional
conservator-restorer. This definition, as a footnote, has been part of
ICOM's code of ethics up to 2002 and has been left out in its most recent
edition 2002 onwards, but apparently will be re-introduced next time again.
So I am happy to give my support to your text. Thank you for  this carefull,
open and transparent discussion.
Best regards

Hans-Christoph von Imhoff
Assistant co-ordinator of the ICOM-CC wg on
History and Theory of Conservation (THC)
31, Blvd. de Pérolles
1700 Fribourg / Switzerland
tel  0041 (0)26 321 14 44
fax 0041 (0)26 321 14 40