ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Per Bjørn Rekdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:06:59 +0100
Dear Gary and others,

DEFINITION OF "MUSEUM"
I must admit I have not had time to read (far less consider or respond
to!) all the proposals for a definition of museum. In spite of all that
has been written about the un-representativity of ICOM-L, I think it is
fantastic that so many have used so much intellectual energy on this
question, and it must be disappointing to read Giovanni's message from the
Executive telling us that none of them are better than the already
excisting one!

Now: Is there such thing as an ideal definition of "museum"? I think not.
Neither from an empirical, intentional, political or whatever viewpoint.
But let us not waste all the good thinking: We could well need a short
(1-3 pages), authoritative essay discussing various good definitions of
"museum". I think this would highlight the whys, whats and hows of a
museum far better than one definition, and perhaps become as valuable a
reference for the museum world as the one, authoritative one (which we
also need!). There is plenty of raw-material for such an essay to be found
on the ICOM-L and even more could be collected if we follow Giovanni's
advice.

DEFINITION OF MUSEUM AND ICOM MEMBERSHIP
Gary writes:
"It is the sub. para. (b) that, in my opinion, is a cause for concern. It
states, ³in addition to institutions designated as "museums" the following
qualify as museums for the purposes of this definition.² That statement is
followed by a list of organizations, institutions, agencies, et cetera,
that ³qualify as museums.² If that list is taken literally, then many
governments would seem to qualify as a museums because of their
responsibility for
³national² museums."

I think one must distinguish between a museum and an institution that may
become a member of ICOM. Correspodingly one must distinguish between a
person employed in a museum and a person whose profession is such that
he/she may become an ICOM member.

For many reasons institutions and professionals that are related to or
have something to do with museums can and should be allowed to become
members of ICOM. But we need not - and indeed should not - try to include
these in an all-encompassing definition of a museum or of a museum
professional or of a person who has a position that has to do with
museums.

Per