ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steven de Clercq <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:52:42 +0100
Dear Gary, Bernice and ICOM-List-members,

Gary, again, you have done a wonderful job in assembling all these
suggestions and - together with Bernice & Geoffrey - forging them into
possible definitions and inviting us to comment.

First, as I understand it, most ICOM-members prefer a longer definition, or
rather a description of the various aspects, roles, tasks, ambitions,
missions of museums. Therefore, it is no wonder we have such a wide choice,
and I am sure more will come once our French and Spanish speaking colleagues
enter the arena.
And I also understand Bernice's point where she explains why "... more
particularised descriptions are important components of the international
legal instruments for protection of "human heritage" world-wide" (UNESCO)

Gary invites us to reflect whether "...  the idea of "public benefit" (is)
just a politically or socially correct expression ..."

I would like to see that in a broader context. Analysing the 11 different
suggestions, we see that most of them:
- contain the 'cornerstones' of the definition I earlier suggested: "Museums
are institutions that keep collections for research and presentation"
- mainly differ in the way they specify each of these basic elements.

For example: "institutions" are described as being: permanent, public,
educational, cultural, 'of public benefit', non-profit, not for profit, that
serve society, that serve the public, etc. etc.

My feeling is that the specification one would like to stress is to a large
extend determined by personal taste, local political or cultural traditions,
legal situations, etc. The big question therefore seems to be how to choose
the 'best-for-all' specification.

Against this background, I think Bernice gave a very convincing explanation
to choose for 'suggestion 1", Bernice's most recent suggestion, which I will
therefore support.

However, it may also be useful to have - next to that longer 'explanatory'
definition - a short definition on which we can all agree. I therefore
suggest to add my rather crude and un-poetic definition as suggestion No. 12

With best regards,

Steven de Clercq

On 06-11-2003 18:53, "Gary Edson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear ICOM Colleagues:
>
> This is the most recent November 6, 2003 communication about the definition
> of "Museum." You may have received this message earlier today, but I was
> informed by ICOM L that it could not be delivered because the subject
> heading had been used previously. This  is not Spam.
>
> Before I send the suggested definitions for translation (again), I want to
> circulate the list being considered at this time! The discussion continues
> and I am very pleased to see the interest being shown in finding the exact
> wording for the definition. The difficulty I am having is keeping up with
> the word-by-word changes. I am not certain I have the most recent version of
> a proposed definitions.
>
> Issues relating to "permanence," "nonprofit," "scientific," and the
> inclusive or exclusive nature of "heritage" continue to be questioned. I
> believe these issues will attract additional attention when the proposed
> definitions are translated and circulated to our French and Spanish speaking
> colleagues. I continue to be concerned about the English language focus of
> this exchange.
>
> For my understanding, are we continuing to view museums as in outward
> projecting institutions that deal with traditional approaches to objects, or
> should the definition give emphasis to enhancing the multicultural and
> social diversity role of museums? Does the idea of "public benefit"
> adequately describe this role, or is "public benefit" just a politically or
> socially correct expression that is open to interpretation and may require a
> second definition?
>
> According to my record, the following definitions have received the most
> discussion. They are not necessarily listed in order of interest, but I have
> tried to place the most recently discussed suggestions at or near the top of
> the list. As always, I await your comments.  Thank you for your involvement.
>
> Gary Edson
>
> These are your suggestions as of November 5, 2003.
>
> Suggestion 1:
> Museums are institutions that serve society by promoting knowledge,
> appreciation and conservation of the natural world and the cultural and
> scientific heritage of humanity through collections, memories, sites and
> processes they care for, research, and interpret for public benefit.
>
> Suggestion 2:
> A museum is an institution that serves the public interest through
> education, collaboration, communication, or research about social, cultural,
> or scientific issues expressed as objects, specimens, or activities.
>
> Suggestion 3:
> A museum is a cultural institution that serves society by preserving,
> researching and divulgating scientific, cultural and/or natural heritage
> through the use of collections.
>
> Suggestion 4:
> A museum is an educational organization that serves the public by
> [...]

Steven W.G. de Clercq

Utrecht University, senior consultant Academic Heritage
Vice-Chair of UMAC, ICOM's International Committee for University Museums
& Collections
website: <http://www.icom.museum/umac>
Straatweg 17,  3603 CV MAARSSEN,  the Netherlands
Tel:  OO31-(0)346-567.573;  Fax:  0031-(0)346-578.843
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]