ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 19:18:54 +0100
Quoting Marta de la Torre:

> I have access to WWW.  The question would be whether we will go to the
> ICOM site on a regular basis -- just a matter of discipline, I guess,
> and we'll have to work on it.

There are no plans for forcing anyone to choose between e-mail and the
Web. I was simply trying to determine if there was any degree of urgency
in keeping the two services in sync.

Perhaps a better way to ask the question would be:  If the HTML
documents kept on the ICOM Web server were also available for e-mail
retrieval, would anyone regard it as necessary for plaintext versions of
the same documents also to be available?

There will be a planning session at the ICOM Secretariat next week and it
would be very helpful to be able to take user opinion into consideration.

Due to my travelling to Paris I will not have access to my e-mailbox
between tomorrow morning and Monday morning. This may result in messages
to ICOM-L (and the other ICOM lists) being held up in a queue over the
weekend. (E-mail distribution lists are currently under massive
bombardment with mindless junk mailings. I am therefore very reluctant to
turn off the filters which protect you from having to see such nonsense.)

The more messages that are waiting for processing on Monday morning, the
better. One of the purposes of the meeting will be to evaluate the success
of the distribution lists and it cannot be anything other than gratifying
if they are seen to be generating useful feedback about ICOM's efforts.

 - - -

Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>       Department of Information Technology
Phone: +46 8 666 4055       Swedish Museum of Natural History
Fax:   +46 8 666 4235       Box 50007, 104 05 Stockholm, Sweden