ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:06:43 +0100
Responding to Bernice
Thank you for the detailled reply, which to me is convincing,
even if scientific can not be other than part of the human heritage,
but my formula conveys perhaps a little bit a more passive
attitude towards appreciation. You are certainly right in regard
to legal instruments outside and above ICOM.

In your answer to  Peter Tyrell you talk about the single words
proposed to be added and you mention "document" , which
I introduced into my proposal for change of the definition -
you seem to cite it in the sense of a substantive, as another
category of objects. That is not what I am after - I was
proposing it as a verb, as one of the crucial activities of
a museum: to document - it may not be used as a verb in
English that much.

I congratulate you to this very short and so appropriate
defintion. Do you think that this definition might make it
necessary to change / adapt other parts of the statuts or
the code of ethics ? I think it might be worth while to check.
I'll have a look, but I think we would be well advised
to be more to do so.

Thank you, Bernice, and best regards

Hans-Christoph

Hans-Christoph von Imhoff