ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 18:13:15 -0800
On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Patricia Reynolds (Board member, ICMAH; Keeper of
Social History, Buckinghamshire County Museum / Freelance Curator) wrote:

> We are also looking for bibliographical references (especially,
> but not exclusively in languages other than French and English)
> to the museology of site museums.

I have been doing research and writing in several areas:  Ethnocultural
Preservation, non-tangible culture and its importance in understanding
material culture, holistic presentation of culture in exhibits, and the
New Museology (community-interactive, educating institutions--based on
Hugh de Varine's "Declaration of Santiago," (1972)).  While some of the
ideas are hardly new, some of the logical conclusions and philosophical
positions are new.  Overall, I have a great interest in indigenous
cultures, and helping with strategies to promote culture and linguistic
literacy appropriate to those cultures; and in creating honourable
relationships between communities and museums/institutions (questions of
"whose culture?" and "culture when?" are often quite telling in their
answers, but quite appropriate to presenting culture without bias and
without triviality or glorification).

As part of the writing I have completed is a proposed new
museum/education for the Quinault Nation (on the Washington state coast),
which allows for the planning within the community and strategies to
address culture and language instruction that the public school system
does not support (cultural identity and responsibilities to family and
community are the core of viable communities--as is selfless service).
As a preliminary to this proposal, I wrote a short introduction on
founding a museum (collections based), which I included with the proposal.

I am certainly willing to make these available to you.  By 30 June 1996,
I will have completed a third work on non-tangible culture and education
(which is the introduction to the philosophies which will be elaborated
in a forth work--the third is a special project and the fourth a more
academic exploration and exposistion: due to be completed in June 1998.)

Since these works deal with interdisciplinary views of anthropology,
archaeology, ethnography, museology, and so forth, they may be of
interest to you.

Thanks
Dave Wells, Director
Quinault National Museum Project