ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 00:25:29 +0100
My first reaction to hearing of the disaster in Poland is to reach for
the chequebook, and the second is to think of the most effective way of
giving (i.e. the way that is of most use to the Poles, and perhaps of
less use to the British treasury).

If I can channel my donation via a British registered charity, then I
can do it without paying tax (because I covenant money each month to the
Charities Aid Foundation which gives me a 'cheque book' which means I
can give money, untaxed, to British charities).  Is it possible to do
this?  (Is ICOM-UK set up as a charity, could it go via another Polish
charity which is registered in Britain?)

I should add that Keepers of Social History in Britain aren't
spectacularly well paid, and I only covenant (shame on me) just less
than 1% of my gross earnings, so we aren't talking large amounts here!
--
Pat Reynolds
(who has just come back from looking at three houses in Aylesbury, and was