ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:46:33 +0100
In message <000601c361ed$442143c0$434842c8@nombreli5fa4h5>, Herreman
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Grazie, Giovanni.
>Thank-you for sending this important information to ICOM members.
>Even though so much has been advanced in this matter, which in
>architecture is called accesability, there is still many things to do.
>In Mexico, in the Architecture School, I am orgabizing a Seminar on this
>issue mainly to create a) awareness of the issue and b) promote de
>international standards on accesibability.
>So, if there is someone who may send me information on this matter,
>please send them to me via this List.

Dear Herreman,

The Museum and Gallery Disability Association is based in Britain, but
has a very international outlook, with an international membership, and
regularly reporting on developments beyond our shores in its journal,
BarrierFree: see http://www.magda.org.uk/

You may already be aware of the concept of 'universal design', which I
have found very useful. Ron Mace has defined universal design as "the
design of products and environments to be usable by all people, to the
greatest extent possible, without the need for adaptation or specialized
design". I like
* the equal attention to 'products' and 'environments', (which reminds
us that 'access to the museum environment' is not the same thing as
'access to the museum's "products" - often when access is considered (in
Britain, at least), the first thought is of access for wheelchair users.
We think far too infrequently of the other 'products' which we assume
are available 'to all': from the opportunity to volunteer as a tour
guide, or become a trustee, to the opportunity to support the museum by
making an on-line donation)
* the emphasis on 'all people' - not 'the disabled' - this holistic
approach means that designers need not focus on 'disability', but upon
'user needs' - as an approach it accepts diversity, and does not see it
as 'a problem to be solved' (or, worse, a problem which lies with 'the
disabled', and has nothing to do with the museum).  If a building is
designed to be accessible for wheelchair users, this often means it is
accessible to families using push-chairs or prams - and if a building is
designed to be 'family friendly', this often means it is designed to be
'wheelchair user friendly'; a design solution which means that
information is available to people with sensory impairment can often
make it more accessible to people who are working in a second language;
and so on.
* the cost effectiveness;
More about universal design can be found at: http://www.design.ncsu.edu/
cud/

Not the question you asked, but if you are interested in the cultural
heritage of people with disabilities, you might like the H-NET List for
the History of Disabilities <[log in to unmask]>.

Best wishes to all,

Pat

Pat Reynolds
Surrey Museums Development Officer / Research Student, Department of
Archaeology, University of York
--
Pat Reynolds
   "It might look a bit messy now,