ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steven de Clercq <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:53:34 +0100
The discussion about the museum definition triggered a question of another
character:
Is what have we been discussing so far, a definition of a description?

I consulted the following sources:
- my Webster's (w)
- the dictionary in my computer (c.)
- my Dutch dictionary: Koenen, (d)
- my French dictionary: Le Robert Micro (f)
- my Spanish dictionary: Maria Moliner (s)

And found for:

DEFINITION:
W - a set of words explaining the meaning e.g. of a word, scientific
principle or property
C - a brief precise statement of what a word or expression means, for
example in a dictionary
D - juiste bepaling: begripsomschrijving
F - (définition):Phrase qui définit un élément du lexique
S - (definición): Palabras con que se define; particularmente explicación
del significado de una palabra en un diccionario.

W - a verbal account or portrayal of a person, scene, event, etc.
C - a written or verbal account, representation, or explanation of something
D - (beschrijving): de handeling of daad van beschrijven
F - (description): Action de décrire, énumération des caractères de (qqch.,
qqn)
S - (descripción): Acción y efecto de describir; Inventario

MUSEUM:
W - a building used for the preservation and exhibition of objects
illustrating human or natural history, esp. the arts or sciences
C - a building or institution where objects of artistic, historical, or
scientific importance and value are kept, studied, and put on display
D - gebouw waarin voorwerpen van kunst of wetenschap zijn tentoongesteld
F - (musée): Établissement dans lequel sont rassemblées et classées des
collections d'objects présentant un intérêt historique, technique,
scientifique, artistique, en vue de leur conservation et de leur
présentation au public
S - (museo): Lugar en que se guqrdan objetos artisticos o colecciones
científicas, convenientemente cologados para que sean examinados

This small consultation shows:
1. That our definition/description bears much of what is usually seen as
description, in so far that we use quite a few words to further explain
certain basic elements on which we all seem to agree;
2. The definitions of a museum we find in these dictionaries (countries)
differ quite considerably among themselves as well as from our concept. The
most notable difference is that 'we' see museums as institutions, whereas
most of 'them' see it as a building!

This leads me to the conclusion, that we need:
A) a definition/description like we have been discussing so far
B) a 'real' definition,'authorised' by ICOM, that should be concise and
precise, and above all easy to memorise for museum professionals,
politicians, administrators, journalists, etc. and that should be basis for
the definitions given in dictionaries all over the world.

It seems to me that it is in our interest, as a profession, that we provide
such a basic 'authorised' definition.

My suggestion:
Museums are institutions that keep collections for research and
presentation.

With best regards,

Steven W.G. de Clercq

Utrecht University, senior consultant Academic Heritage
Vice-Chair of UMAC, ICOM's International Committee for University Museums
& Collections
website: <http://www.icom.museum/umac>
Straatweg 17,  3603 CV MAARSSEN,  the Netherlands
Tel:  OO31-(0)346-567.573;  Fax:  0031-(0)346-578.843
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]