ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
John McAvity <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:20:12 -0300
I was very sad to read in today's New York Times (August 15) that Steve
Weil passed away a few days ago due to liver failure in Washington.   He
was 77.  We have all lost one of the greatest minds ever on the world
and workings of museums.

Steve, as many of us knew, was the consumate philosopher and contributer
to the museum community in so many incredible and thoughtful ways.   He
was without doubt our strongest contempary thinker and author in the
museum profession worldwide.

He was the founder of the ALI-ABA course on Legal Aspects of Museum
Administration, active in ICOM and also in INTERCOM, a frequent
contributor to AAM and CMA and other museum associations, leader of the
Museums Management Institute, etc, and there are a lot of etcers that
could be added.

Steve knew no boundaries, and gave so many of us inspiration.  I recall
him once describing the museum community as having moved from a bunch of
isolated islands to a rich archipaelago which was such an apt
description.

The museum community has lost a great leader and I simply wish to
express my sympathy to his family and colleagues worldwide. (If anyone
has an address so I can post a note to his wife and family I would be
grateful).

John McAvity
Canadian Museums Association.