From:
Haley Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2023 12:29:14 -0400
Hello!

I am a fourth-year Ph.D. student in the Faculty of Information at the University of Toronto researching the intersections of contingent & independent contract labor and DEAI (Diversity, Equity, Access, Inclusion) initiatives in American museums.

I am interested in talking with museum professionals at any career stage who, at some point since 2010, a) have been independently contracted to work on deliverables-based projects at one or more museums AND/OR b) have managed or overseen independently contracted workers hired to work on deliverables-based projects at one or more museums. These projects are often funded by grants and limited in both scope and timeline, but your experiences may vary and I am interested in those as well!

I’m specifically interested in talking with people whose experience includes back-of-house projects (i.e., collections management, community collaboration, or registrarial projects, etc.) at mid-to-large size American museums that steward artifact collections, e.g. Anthropology Museums, Natural History Museums, History Museums, etc.

I would love to hear about both ‘successful’ and ‘unsuccessful’ projects; ongoing, complete, or stalled projects; projects that you originated or projects you were assigned to; and especially projects that involve(d) some measure of community engagement and/or projects with some focus on DEAI.

If any of this sounds relevant to you and you think you would be willing to contribute to my research, don’t hesitate to reach out for clarification, further explanation, or to set up a time to meet virtually with me! I would also be grateful if you could pass this request along to any of your peers or colleagues who you think might be interested.

Interviews are likely to last around one hour and timing is flexible. Interviewees who are presently contingently employed will be offered a $25 gift card for participating in the interview, and a further $25 gift card for the transcript co-editing and approval process. I will be making a $25 donation to the National Emerging Museum Professionals Network on behalf of every presently permanently employed museum professional I interview.

Please be in touch at: [log in to unmask]

Thank you and take care,

Haley Bryant ([log in to unmask])
Doctoral Candidate
Faculty of Information, University of Toronto

  .FO OFF