From:
Carli DeFillo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2021 12:02:35 -0400
Dear colleagues,

I am looking for advice on how to proceed with recovering a stolen artwork, in terms of paperwork and legalities. Our museum is located in New York State. The painting was stolen in 1970, and has recently turned up at an auction house in California. (It has been removed from sale, and we are in the process of contacting the consignor through the auction house.)

What documentation do we need to prove that this painting was stolen from our collection? We have a file of information including the original accession paperwork, photographs of the painting taken while it was in our possession, extensive local newspaper reports published at the time of the theft, and documents relating to the police report.

What are the next steps in this process? We would appreciate any advice or guidance from anyone who has handled a similar situation!

Thanks,
Carli

--
Carli DeFillo