From:
Winged Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2019 18:29:34 +0000
Hello Wade,

I have done many, many large and small catalogs and, in the age of digital printing, small runs are cost effective. I now do my own graphic design, but in the past, I hired a local graphic designer, so I could work closely with him/her and had the books printed locally as well. Some print shops offer design services as well, but not all do.

You want to find someone who can show you samples, typically working in InDesign. You should also see samples at the print shop to decide on size, number of pages, page weight, and binding to get a price. It used to be that print runs of 1,000 would cost the same as print runs of 100 but not so any more. My print shop is willing to run as few as 6 books at a time for the same prince.

Color is still much more expensive than black and white and there are options, like color cover with b/w inside pages. I’ve also had a color color insert for some pages on one of my books.

Do allow yourself plenty of time to get all of what you need—text and photos—and time for design, proofing, and printing. I always add an extra 2 weeks for unforeseen problems.

Anna Fariello

Curatorial InSight