From:
Angela Kipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2017 21:22:24 +0200
Hi Samantha,

actually, we have implemented something similar at the TECHNOSEUM this
year. We are monitoring temperature and humidity with self-built loggers
on the basis of the ESP8266, a microcontroller board that has WiFi. The
loggers send their data to a website where it is stored and displayed
for conservation and collections staff to monitor. Warnings are sent via
email if certain threshold values are passed or there is a sudden change
in a given time. At the moment 7 loggers are doing their duty on and off
site with additional loggers being added in the next months as we passed
our second testing phase. It must be said that prior to this
implementation I ran several tests (accuracy, 1-year-stability, extreme
climate conditions) privately as a hobby before I was convinced enough
to suggest the solution to my boss (our professional ones are old and
became unreliable some time ago).

Along with the things William already suggested, here are some
additional considerations:

- ALL sensors lose accuracy over time. The ones you buy have to be sent
in for calibration, the self-built ones you can - but have to - test
yourself. We use an Assmann psychrometer and in addition two of the
three salt solutions recommended here:
http://www.connectingtocollections.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Calibration-using-saturated-salt-solutions.pdf

- The checking interval is 6 months. The data sheet of these sensors
give +/- 2% for relative humidity but we found them differing wider in
testing. Something that can be corrected in the code, but also HAS to be
corrected in the code.

- There is some coding to do, but if you have the IT guys on your side,
this isn't much of a problem. For an IT guy the involved coding is a
kindergarten game. Hey, I learned it and I have just a museum studies
degree.

- As the ESP8266 needs power to send the WiFi signal, so ours need a
power connection. We are experimenting with power bars, though. Will be
the same with the raspberry, I guess.

- The system depends on available WiFi, obviously. We have some of our
old thermohygrographs as a backup in places where we want to make sure
we have continuous data, although so far there were no larger drop-outs.

The cost is at about 40 Euro a logger, including casing and power
adapter, the exchange of a sensor is at about 8 Euro for the
DHT22/AM2302, about 10 Euro for an ESP8266 board.

I tried to attach screenshots, but the list won't let me. Feel free to
drop me a line at [log in to unmask]

Good luck with your project, please keep me posted because I'm
interested how it works with a raspberry.

Best wishes
Angela

Angela Kipp
Collection Manager
TECHNOSEUM, Mannheim, Germany
http://www.technoseum.de

Join the Registrar Trek at http://world.museumsprojekte.de/
Follow us on Twitter @RegistrarTrek

This is a personal opinion, my institution can't be held responsible for
anything I write.