ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gerhard Winter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 15:54:27 +0200
To all members and friends of  ICOM-NATHIST

I am very happy to send you a first announcement for our annual meeting
in 2006:

Thanks to the friendly invitation by CAROL DIEBEL (Director of Natural
Environment, Te Papa Museum) and the initiative of our member ERIC
DORFMAN (Senior Manager Natural Environment Science Programmes at Te
Papa) we have the unique opportunity to meet at one of the most advanced
and attractive museums in the Austral-Pacific region:

Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa (Te Papa)
Wellington, New Zealand
November 27-30, 2006

Te Papa is the National Museum of New Zealand, which was inaugurated 1998.

Learn more about Te Papa on the web: http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/Tepapa/

As the national museum, Te Papa exhibits and researches not only natural
history, but also presents the history and culture of man and its direct
or indirect impact on nature, intangible and tangible heritage.

Te Papa has been given the mandate by the New Zealand Government for the
repatriation of toi moko (preserved tattooed heads) from museums all
over the world.

The unique responsibility of Te Papa for the society will be reflected
in the key topics of our conference.

The following topics are proposed:

1) "Museums are guarantees for a sustainable development of natural &
cultural heritage"
About the role of museums for the society and for protecting world heritage

2) "Museums are the hottest hotspots of diversity of natural & cultural
heritage"
About exhibitions with focus on habitat groups (dioramas) and taxidermy
as art

3) "Museum and Universal Heritage"
(in preparation to the theme of the ICOM General conference in Vienna,
August 19-24, 2007

So please look for funds and subventions in advance to join in and ....

New Zealand has a lot to offer in terms of stunning natural beauty and a
unique flora and fauna.  It is well worth staying a few more weeks; this
unique experience will more than repay the effort to get there.  There
will be advice available before the conference on extended stays.

By the way, NATHIST is the first International Committee of ICOM which
has its annual meeting in New Zealand, therefore we should be a very
strong group to represent ICOM well on this first celebration in New
Zealand during the 60th anniversary of ICOM which is 2006.

Eric Dorfman and I would be very happy to see all mebers of NATHIST and
friends  in Wellington
on November 27, 2006 at Te Papa.

Best wishes
Gerhard Winter